Assitan Keita: Student Success Center Youth Leader

Deajah Campbell, Staff Writer

Assitan Keita, a Senior at Careers in Sports High School, is a humorous and dedicated young lady. Assitan is currently a Youth Leader at the Mott Haven Student Success Center. She is responsible for supporting peers with the college application process. She is passionate about helping other students build their future.  

Assitan noticed previous cohorts struggle with college-related matters. This caused students to become  overwhelmed about the college process and the financial aspect of it.  Assitan’s role in the Success Center focuses on easing that stress for students. Assitan enjoys her work because she is committed to ensuring that young people pursue a secondary education. 

As a soon-to-be graduate who will be attending SUNY Morrisville in the Fall (2023),  Assitan advises students who are continuing their education to not panic about paying for college. She encourages them to learn more about options available to them including loans, grants, scholarships, and programs such as EOP (Educational Opportunity Program). Assitan has truly learned from her working experience at the Student Success Center. She advises future employees to set up a flexible schedule that will allow them to get to know students and help them with any concerns they may have.